Monday, February 4, 2008

Cozy Toesies!


Look! Three socks! All done, including the toes! Notice anything odd? Like, each of the three socks is different? Where are their mates, you ask? The sock of many colors on the left has a mate about 90% done, done to the toe decreases. The Jaywalker pattern sock in the middle I think has been cast on and the cuff ribbing done. The pretty camo one on the left is half of a birthday gift for a late February birthday. Ack! The other half of the gift has just been cast on, as I am pretty confident the recipient has two feet and will want to keep them equally warm. Needless to say I will be knitting at my 2006 Knitting Olympics pace to finish on time. Hey, I did a whole pair in the 3 weeks of Winter Olympics, so no sweat! (please, everyone pray for a blizzard on the scale of January 1996, when the Federal Government was shut down for 4 days!)

Why am I showing you three lonely socks? Because today, dear blog readers, I have conquered my fear of the Kitchener Stitch! For you non-knitters, the Kitchener Stitch is a method to close up the toes in knitted socks so there is not a seam and it looks like one solid knitted piece. It's a little tricky and requires practice. So, I had saved a couple of socks that were ready to Kitchener, so that I could do a couple in a row for the repetition. I found this video, and by the time I got to the third sock it was easy peasy! Fear conquered! Full speed ahead on the partners to all of the above mateless socks, and all other socks planned from my growing sock yarn stash!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a sock with no seam at the toe?!? i could be in love. i so need to learn to knit socks...

teri

Denise said...

yay! Look great -I know what you mean about wanting a few days where you can just knit and get those old projects finished - that's what President's Day is for!