Sunday, June 8, 2008

It was a dark and stormy night...

I just love the Snoopy cartoon where he is sitting on top of his Sopwith Camel, typing the above to start a story! We've had some dark and stormy nights (and afternoons) around here lately! Luckily no damage other than some small branches and twigs off the trees, and our power has only blinked a couple of times, only enough to knock off my clock radio! That seems to be the only indicator that there has been a power burp. So, I count ourselves as very lucky! Many of my friends and co-workers lost power for hours or days, and the pictures of trees on houses and cars aren't happy ones! Wednesday's commute home for some was hairy with so many traffic lights out (I was asleep on my bus commute home so I can't comment on mine!).

Now it's hot and steamy. Welcome summer! The day lilies and purple coneflowers are about to burst into bloom. I love the butterflies they attract!

Storms also mean no computer or sewing, as I keep them off and the sewing machines just stay unplugged unless I am sewing.

I have been reading some. When we re-arranged our bedroom 2 weeks ago I saw the stack of Janet Evanovich paperbacks I picked up at a thrift shop last summer, but never got around to reading them. I haven't read her books before, but my sister-in-law said they are good! I started with "Full House" and it was funny and a quick read, good for the bus (translation - I can read several pages, even chapters, before I fall asleep!).

Tomorrow is DS's last day of elementary school. He is growing up too fast! I took him shopping for summer clothes yesterday afternoon. He has definite likes and dislikes so I can no longer just pick out some clothes and he wears them. We had luck at Target and Kohl's. Boy's shirts that I consider "appropriate" to wear and he likes are hard to find. He isn't into sports, and I don't like the mean sayings about sisters and homework and not listening, etc, or some of the shirts with skulls on them. We did find a cute T shirt with a couple ears of corn with faces, watching popcorn pop in a microwave, and the shirt says "Horror Movie"!

Oops, better get off the computer and get some stuff done around here before it gets too hot! More later about our new feathered friends!

1 comment:

mermaids said...

in our house, we have the same feelings about the tee shirt selection for boys. and, yes, that makes for slim pickins.

we've missed most of the storms, but definitely have the heat. yesterday was 100. today and tomorrow will likely be the same.

teri