Sunday, November 11, 2007

20 year anniversary remembered!

No, not hubby and I's wedding anniversary - that was 24 years in August. No, 20 years ago today the Washington DC area was hit with a freak November snow storm that dumped 15 inches of snow on the ground and I nearly totalled my little Mazda GLC hatchback! See, I saw the snow beginning as I walked the dogs when I got up, and decided that I'd better hurry and get myself to work before the roads got bad. 20 min later I had to sweep 2 inches of snow off my car! I decided to take an alternate route to work, to avoid a rather big hill I usually have to take. Well, not a mile from our condo someone in a large tank of a sedan had slid into the curb, so I attempted to give her a wide berth and make my way past. In the process, my car turned sideways and began to slide down the not-as-big hill. Right into the sedan. My passenger side door, right at the hinge hit the left rear corner of her car. Door, fender, dashboard - CRUNCHED! Thankfully, no one was hurt, and I was able to drive home. But, it was the first accident I'd ever had and my car was hurt! Yes, the car was fixed, but that took nearly 3 months, during which time some very wonderful co-workers took turns picking me up and getting to and from work. So, now I treat driving in the snow with a lot more respect, as in I only drive in it if I ABSOLUTELY have to!

No comments: