Didn't I recently have a post with a similar title?
Our little flock of chickens had dwindled to 3 old red hens whose egg output was undependable at best. I had to actually go buy eggs the other day. So, we knew we needed to add some young stock to keep up with our egg needs and be able to give eggs to friends. I'll be getting some fancier birds from a friend in a couple of weeks, but DH was on a mission in the Amish area of the county to find a whole hog for a picnic next weekend and came across a farm with pullets. He called me at work (I was in a meeting discussing high tech things like servers and data warehouses and the like) from an Amish farm (no electricity or phone) and asked how many I wanted! We decided on 6, and he brought them home and popped them into the pen with the 3 old ladies. They are a little tentative about the out of doors as they apparently had not been outside their barn yet. but, they are starting to get the hand of going in and out of the pen from the coop, and when the coop door is open finally wandered over to the butterfly garden (about 15 feet) to hide under the plants. It will be a couple of weeks before they start laying, so I've got to build new nest boxes between now and then!
1 comment:
congrats on the new chicks, we got some new ones too. My old ladies where barely laying, I too had to buy eggs, something I hadn't done is a long time. My new chicks though were only day old, just now getting big enough for the coop. More Rhode Island Reds for me, they are my fav!
Post a Comment