Sunday, November 30, 2008

Tinking and Frog-stitching

What is "tinking" you ask? To tink is the opposite of knit, therefore, it is unknitting. Such as, when you knitted when you should have purled, dropped a stitch several rows below, or did the neck shaping on the armhole edge. Hmm, all of the above I have done in the past week, so I have had much practice in tinking.

On the other hand, when you have to "undo" sewing, it is called frog stitching. ("wesing" just doesn't work). You take a seam ripper to your stitches and "rip-pit, rip-pit" like the ribbit of a frog. I haven't sewn any in the past couple of weeks, so I haven't frog-stitched!

Somehow tinking is more interesting to me than frog-stitching. Not sure why....

1 comment:

Kitten said...

Most knitters actually use frogging to mean pulling out large amounts of yarn (rows and rows) because you, as you said, 'rip it', 'rip it'. Unknitting one stitch at a time is called tinking.