Saturday, February 13, 2010

Let the Games Begin!

Back in 2006 during the Winter Olympics I did a knitting challenge called the Knitting Olympics. Cast on a challenging project during the opening games and finish before the torch was extinguished 16 days later. I picked a sock project because I was very new to sock knitting, and I did win my gold medal! I didn't have a blog back then, but I did take almost daily pictures of my progress, journaled it, and put it all into a scrapbook.Well, I came across the scrapbook this week and read through it (and laughed), and decided to take Yarn Harlot up on the Challenge again. Still wanting to knit socks because of their portability (and the amount of sock yarn in my yarn collection), I decided my challenge would be a new technique - toe up socks. I found this book and discovered I have the same yarn as the basic toe up sock project shows using - Kroy Socks yarn in Paint Box .
Yarn, needles, and book in hand, I sat down last night to watch the Opening Ceremonies. I had "prepped" by watching a podcast video on casting on toe-up socks on LetsKnit2gether.com - looked pretty easy. What I didn't realize is for the video she was using a thicker yarn and larger needles! DK weight yarn on size 2 DPNs is a whole 'nother ballgame (oops - that would be a Summer Olympics reference!). 3 hours later, as the Canadian team paraded in, I had finally cast on 24 teeny tiny stitches, after dozens of attempts and three different methods and watching the video on my large monitor instead of my ipod! I was tired, my eyes were tired, but I had a start. Tomorrow would be another day!

1 comment:

Virginia said...

Yay Sue! I wasn't part of the original knitting olympics and I didn't really understand the Yarn Harlot post so I am doing the Ravelry Olympics. Instead of trying to finish my lace shell (WIP event) I opted to try felted clogs. I had a bit of a rough start as well but by the time the opening ceremonies were finished I had a great start on them. I have lots to do around the house today but hope to have time to work on them again. Can't wait to see how they felt up! Happy knitting! Virginia